Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Samuel Miller

Samuel Miller was born and raised in Vermillion, South Dakota, and now resides in Los Angeles, where, in addition to writing, he directs music videos and coaches Little League Baseball. He began writing his first novel while on tour in a fifteen-passenger van with the rock band Paradise Fears. A Lite Too Bright is his debut novel. Currently he attends graduate school at the University of Southern California. He credits his existence entirely to two spectacular parents, three brothers, one sister, and the best and sweetest puppy dog on the whole planet, Addison.

Recently I asked Miller about what he was reading. His reply:
Right now, I'm making my way through Liu Cixin's Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy (I'm on The Dark Forest now), which is thrilling me in a way that most Sci Fi doesn't (particularly Sci Fi that's this...measured). The ideas are enormous & sprawling & deliberately force the reader to question how much we know, & how much we can know about the universe around us. I'm also a sucker for people staring down the end of humanity & talking existentially about it, & this book has...plenty of that.

Outside of that, I just read Dreamland, which is a painfully effective study of the history of opioids, which I think is essential reading in 2018 America, particularly for the parts of 2018 America where this suffering isn't readily apparent (I live in Los Angeles). I also just finished Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 which amused & delighted me... & made me want to be a better writer.
Visit Samuel Miller's website.

--Marshal Zeringue