Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Abdi Nazemian

Abdi Nazemian is a screenwriter, director, and author.

His debut YA novel is The Authentics.

Recently I asked Nazemian about what he was reading. His reply:
I am currently reading The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, and absolutely loving it. It's the story of a journalist who gets mysteriously chosen by a legendary movie star to write her biography. I am obsessed with classic Hollywood stars, so this book was pretty much made for me. When I first heard about the novel (through a comment on my Instagram, proof that social media can encourage reading), I rushed out to buy it. In the beginning of the book, I was caught in a game of wondering which mythic star most inspired the fictional Evelyn Hugo. She has a lot of Elizabeth Taylor and Rita Hayworth in her, and pieces of Lauren Bacall and Natalie Wood, among others. But about a hundred pages in, I found myself lost in the fictional world, no longer caring who inspired Evelyn because she herself felt completely real to me. I'm not done yet, but it's a page turner and I stayed up too late last night reading it. I'm a little tired, but that's also my favorite kind of book, the kind that keeps you up at night.
Visit Abdi Nazemian's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Authentics.

--Marshal Zeringue