Saturday, April 1, 2017

Becky Masterman

Becky Masterman grew up in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and received her MA in creative writing from Florida Atlantic University.

Her new book, A Twist of the Knife, is the third book in the Brigid Quinn Series.

Recently I asked Masterman about what she was reading. Her reply:
I had the great honor last weekend of moderating a panel discussion at the Tucson Festival of Books with T. Jefferson Parker, J. A. Jance, and John Sandford. So in preparation for that I had just finished The Room of White Fire, Man Overboard, and Extreme Prey by the authors in that order. All are really well crafted, and dealing with current issues such as enhanced interrogation, political assassination, and artificial intelligence. The last was in the book by J. A. Jance, and I thought it was interesting that a character who plays a large role in the story is actually an AI who gets upset when her creator, the villain, snubs her.

Festival duties finished, I tucked into The Nix, by Nathan Hill. It's a crime novel, and a family drama, and a dark comedy wrapped up in David Foster Wallace wit. Ah, this is one of those books that I wish I had written. I'm about a third of the way through right now, and my expectations have been so satisfied that I keep saying to the author in my mind, 'you have me in your grip, please please don't drop me somewhere in the rest of the book.' That's all I'll say for now, but if the last two thirds of the book meet the bar set in this first part, I'm sure it will be one of my fave reads of 2017.
Visit Becky Masterman's website.

My Book, The Movie: Rage Against the Dying.

The Page 69 Test: Rage Against the Dying.

My Book, The Movie: Fear the Darkness.

The Page 69 Test: Fear the Darkness.

My Book, The Movie: A Twist of the Knife.

--Marshal Zeringue