Saturday, June 11, 2016

David Housewright

David Housewright is the Edgar Award and three-time Minnesota Book Award-winning author of the Rushmore McKenzie and Holland Taylor novels as well as other tales of murder and mayhem in the Midwest.

His new novel is Stealing the Countess.

Recently I asked Housewright about what he was reading. His reply:
I’m about two-thirds of the way through Kwik Krimes, an anthology of short stories published in 2013 – and yes, I’m a contributor - but I hadn’t gotten around to reading it until last week. It contains 80 – count ‘em – 80 stories from authors like Tasha Alexander, Ken Bruen, Reed Farrel Coleman, Sean Doolittle, Ed Gorman, Chuck Hogan, and Carolina Garcia-Aguilera. Here’s the thing, though – each story is less than 1,000 words. Some of them are amazing.

I was chatting with Dawn Ius, the managing editor of The Big Thrill, the online magazine of the International Thriller Writers. She’s been seeing a sharp rise in the popularity of short stories. I suspect it’s because of a sharp decline in attention spans. Millennials – including my own son and daughter – who read everything off their computers and smartphones, seem less inclined to spend a couple days with a book. On the other hand, it might be because short stories like those found in Kwik Krimes are so damn good.
Visit David Housewright's website and Facebook page.

My Book, The Movie: The Last Kind Word.

The Page 69 Test: The Last Kind Word.

The Page 69 Test: Stealing the Countess.

--Marshal Zeringue