Sunday, July 19, 2015

Ted Kosmatka

Ted Kosmatka was born and raised in Chesterton, Indiana, and spent more than a decade working in various laboratories where he sometimes used electron microscopes. He is the author of Prophet of Bones and The Games, a finalist for the Locus Award for Best First Novel and one of Publishers Weekly's Best Books of 2012. His short fiction has been nominated for both the Nebula and Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Awards and has appeared in numerous Year's Best anthologies. He now lives in the Pacific Northwest and works as a writer in the video-game industry.

Kosmatka new novel is The Flicker Men.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. His reply:
One of the great things about being a writer, and hanging out with writers, is that you sometimes get to read stuff before anyone else, so I’m currently roaring through a late draft of Patrick Swenson’s second novel, The Ultra Big Sleep, which I’m really enjoying. I’m also reading the Digital Rapture anthology, edited by James Patrick Kelly and John Kessel, which I suspect is going to be a classic resource for decades to come. If you are interested in the Singularity, you have to read this book. On the top of my bedside right now is Will McIntosh’s Defenders, which people are saying great things about. Will reminds me of a bit of Daryl Gregory in that he writes great sci-fi with a keen attention to prose style.

Speaking of Daryl, one of the books I’ve finished recently, was We Are All Completely Fine, which is deserving of the Hollywood attention that it’s getting. Jason M. Hough’s Zero World was an absolute juggernaut of a read, and Bridget Foley’s Hugo and Rose was thoughtful and poignant. Both books leave you thinking about them for weeks afterward.
Visit Ted Kosmatka's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Games.

My Book, the Movie: The Games.

My Book, the Movie: Prophet of Bones.

The Page 69 Test: Prophet of Bones.

--Marshal Zeringue