Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Trish J. MacGregor

Trish J. MacGregor is the author of 36 novels and as TJ MacGregor won the Edgar Allan Poe Award for original paperback in 2003. Her new novel Apparition is the third book in the Hungry Ghost trilogy, and takes place in the mystical city of Esperanza, Ecuador, high in the Andes.

Earlier this month I asked the author about what she was reading. MacGregor's reply:
Stephen King’s Doctor Sleep. In the years since I read The Shining, I wondered what had happened to Danny Torrance, the traumatized kid living at the Overlook Hotel with his odd mother, crazy father, and all those awful ghosts. Now King lets us know and takes us deep into Dan Torrance’s adult life, which has certainly not been a picnic. He’s still got the shining, but considers it a curse, not a gift, until…well, I won’t spoil it for you.

Carol Bowman’s ground-breaking book, Children’s Past Lives. I read this book in the early 1990s and was struck then by how original the material was. Reading it now, it’s clear that she’s one of the pioneers in this area and that her focus has always been on how the recovery of past-life memories can heal. Bowman’s search into this area developed when her son, three or four at the time, developed a sudden, inexplicable fear of loud noises. The book is as riveting now as it was when I first read it.

Richard Martini’s Flipside: A Tourist’s Guide on How to Navigate the Afterlife. Martini is a Hollywood guy whose mystical search into life after death was triggered by the death of a woman he loved, whom he cared for during the last two years of her life. It’s heart-breaking, insightful, funny, and a wild ride.

The iPad is probably the best thing to come along for readers. When I travel, I don’t have to stuff my suitcase with 20 pounds of books I want to read while I’m away from home. I download them and slip my 1.44 pound iPad into my purse!
Visit Trish J. MacGregor's website.

The Page 69 Test: Esperanza.

My Book, The Movie: Esperanza.

The Page 69 Test: Ghost Key.

My Book, The Movie: Apparition.

--Marshal Zeringue