Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Kimberly McCreight

Kimberly McCreight attended Vassar College and graduated cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania Law School. After several years as a litigation associate at some of New York City’s biggest law firms, she left the practice of law to write full-time. Her work has appeared in such publications as Antietam Review, Oxford Magazine, Babble, and New York Magazine online.

McCreight's new novel is Reconstructing Amelia.

Last month I asked the author about what she was reading. McCreight's reply:
I just finished Emily Brazelon’s wonderful Sticks and Stones. I was interested because my novel involves bullying, but also as a mother. In my own research, I’d already read about a number of the incidents recounted in Ms. Brazelon’s book, but she shed a new and insightful light on each one. I particularly appreciated how she explored bullying from numerous vantage points—that of victims and perpetrators, as well as parents and school administrators. Ms. Brazelon did an excellent job of portraying bullying as the complex social problem it is.

On the fiction front, I just finished The Fault in Our Stars. I picked it up because of the deafening roar of praise coming from all directions. And wow, the book is just as incredible as everyone says. I say that not as an adult reading a YA book, either, but as a person reading a fantastic book, period. The Fault in our Stars is truly one of the best books I’ve read in a very long time, maybe ever. The characters are so nuanced and yet so utterly relatable and the writing is subtle and lovely. Every time I had to put it down I could not wait to get back to reading it.
Watch the trailer for Reconstructing Amelia, and learn more about the book and author at Kimberly McCreight's website and blog.

The Page 69 Test: Reconstructing Amelia.

--Marshal Zeringue