Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Amy Brill

Amy Brill is a writer and producer who has worked for PBS and MTV, and has been awarded fellowships by the Edward F. Albee Foundation, the Millay Colony, and the American Antiquarian Society, among others. She lives in Brooklyn.

Brill's new novel is The Movement of Stars.

Earlier the month I asked the author about what she was reading.  Her reply:
I always have a towering pile of books to be read—but since I have two kids under five, my time for actual reading is pathetically slim. That said, I’m involved in a few great books right now. First and foremost is Matt Bell’s incredible new novel, In the House Upon the Dirt by The Lake in the Woods, which will be out in June. It’s a wild and powerful fable that on its surface is about a couple trying to begin a family in an odd, desolate setting. The writing is so spare and magnificent and the events therein so profoundly strange that reading it is just exhilarating.

I’m also finishing up Leigh Newman’s wonderful memoir about growing up in Alaska, Still Points North. It’s a vivid, poignant book about fish and bears and tiny planes, but really it is about how childhood events can reverberate throughout a person’s life.

Finally, I just began The Cartographer of No Man’s Land, a debut novel coming out in October. It’s about a Nova Scotia family divided by World War I, and so far it is as beautiful and gripping as its title suggests.
Learn more about the book and author at Amy Brill's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Movement of Stars.

--Marshal Zeringue