Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Colin Cotterill

Colin Cotterill is a London-born teacher, crime writer and cartoonist. His latest novel is The Woman Who Wouldn't Die, the ninth book in the Dr. Siri Paiboun Series.

A couple of weeks ago I asked the author about what he was reading. Cotterill's reply:
Those of you who have been fascinated and intrigued over the past few years by my entries to Master Zeringue’s potpourri will know that I have little patience with fiction. It is a rare storybook indeed that lassos my attention for longer than a chapter. Invariably, I’m engrossed in texts of stomach curdling forensic, political or modern historical data. But you have caught me on a good week. I am in the middle of a tome of particular brilliance. On Saturday we leave for Laos to do research for Siri 10 (And whoda thought we’d make it into double figures?). If memories are measured in gigs, mine would rank as a mere giggle. I have often been found to reanimate the departed and relocate entire cities. The only way that I can maintain any continuity is to go through my previous books and take notes. So I am reading The Woman Who Wouldn’t Die by Colin Cotterill, (me) which has only recently come out in the US. Modesty prevents me from describing it in any detail and only allows me to inform readers that this edition looks into the life of Madame Daeng, the good Dr. Siri’s wife. She had a dark, undercover life as a revolutionary spy and through her story we learn just what creeps the French colonists were. Thus, we can begin to see why Gérard Depardieu would prefer to be Russian.
Visit Colin Cotterill's website.

The Page 69 Test: Anarchy and Old Dogs.

My Book, The Movie: Curse of the Pogo Stick.

The Page 69 Test: Killed at the Whim of a Hat.

My Book, The Movie: Killed at the Whim of a Hat.

Writers Read: Colin Cotterill (August 2011).

The Page 69 Test: Slash and Burn.

Writers Read: Colin Cotterill (February 2012).

The Page 69 Test: The Woman Who Wouldn't Die.

--Marshal Zeringue