Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Roberta Gately

Roberta Gately, author of The Bracelet, has served as a nurse and humanitarian aid worker in war zones ranging from Afghanistan to Africa, about which she wrote a series of articles for the BBC World News Online. She is also the author of the novel Lipstick in Afghanistan.

A couple of weeks ago I asked the author about what she was reading.  Gately's reply:
I am currently reading The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan. The main character, at 22 years old, is both a newlywed and a widow, and as the story opens, we find that she is also on trial for her life. Set in 1914, The Lifeboat tells the story of a shipwreck and the band of diverse and not so merry survivors crowded into a single lifeboat. It is an emotionally gripping and intense tale of the will to live and the fight to survive even if others must die. Rogan's prose pulses with the authenticity of her tale, and the plot keeps me so intrigued that I find I am reluctant to put this book down. I am, sadly, nearing the end of this riveting read, and have slowed my pace, reading and then re-reading a page in order to stay lost in this dazzling story of humanity at its best and at its worst.
Visit Roberta Gately's website, and follow the author on Facebook and Twitter.

Writers Read: Roberta Gately (November 2010).

The Page 69 Test: Lipstick in Afghanistan.

My Book, The Movie: Lipstick in Afghanistan.

My Book, The Movie: The Bracelet.

--Marshal Zeringue