Friday, August 17, 2012

Laurie Frankel

Laurie Frankel was recently named one of ten women to watch in 2012. She is a proud core member of the Seattle7Writers. Her first novel, The Atlas of Love, came out in August 2010.

Frankel's new novel is Goodbye for Now.

A few weeks ago I asked her what she was reading.  Her reply:
Right now, I’m just finishing Maria Semple’s new novel, Where’d You Go, Bernadette. It’s awesome -- funny and smart with really great characters (which is always my favorite part of books), and really, really weird (which I mean as the absolute highest of compliments). I’m doing a couple readings with her later in the month, and I can’t wait.

I’m also reading Rob Lowe’s memoir, Stories I Only Tell My Friends. (Great title!) This is for work because I’m participating in a celebrity memoirs event later this month, and we’re looking for ridiculous passages. Alas, Rob Lowe isn’t quite ridiculous enough. His memoir’s a little too cool to lend itself to drinking games. On the other hand, I have a soft spot for the man because his character on Parks and Recreation represents the best casting I have ever seen. I love that show, and I love him on it, so he could write almost anything and I’d give him a pass.

A couple weeks ago, I had the flu. I always think it’s no fair being sick in the summer. I felt so awful I couldn’t even watch TV, but I couldn’t sleep either because every time I lay down, I started to drown in snot. All I could do was sit propped up on pillows and blow my nose and read for hours and hours on end, so I needed something compelling, not too hard on the brain, and looooooong. I chose Justin Cronin’s The Passage which is just shy of 800 pages. Ordinarily, I don’t read books that long unless they’re Russian, but this was the perfect flu book. The Passage is a vampire book that’s not really a vampire book. It’s well written. It’s compelling as hell. It’s thoroughly, exhaustively, epically imagined. But centrally, it’s about a virus. Which turns you into a vampire. Which is a really scary thing to read while you’re stuck in bed with a virus.

Next up: David Mitchell’s Cloud Atlas, which I’ve read before and adored, in order to be ready for the movie in October.
Learn more about the book and author at Laurie Frankel's website and blog.

The Page 69 Test: The Atlas of Love.

Read--Coffee with a Canine: Laurie Frankel and Calli.

My Book, The Movie: Goodbye for Now.

The Page 69 Test: Goodbye for Now.

--Marshal Zeringue