Thursday, June 23, 2011

Liane Moriarty

Liane Moriarty is the author of three novels: Three Wishes, The Last Anniversary and most recently, What Alice Forgot (Amy Einhorn/Putnam). What Alice Forgot is the story of a woman who loses ten years of her memory. She thinks she’s 29, pregnant with her first child and blissfully in love with her husband. In fact, she’s 39, the mother of three children, and she’s in the middle of a bitter divorce. Publishers Weekly described it as "moving, well-paced and thoroughly pleasurable," and Fox 2000 have optioned the film rights. Book clubs love it because it gives everyone a chance to reflect on how their lives have changed over the past decade and what their younger selves would think of the people they’ve become. Moriarty is also the author of the Nicola Berry series for children, and all her books have been published around the world. She lives in Sydney, Australia with her husband and two small children.

Recently I asked her what she was reading. Her reply:
I’m reading the manuscript for The Kingdom of Cello by my sister (well-known YA author, Jaclyn Moriarty). I’m the first person in the world to have the privilege of reading what is going to be an extraordinary new series.

I’m also re-reading Anne Tyler’s The Amateur Marriage, for probably the third time, because I just finished writing my new novel (The Hypnotist’s Love Story), and I only let myself read Anne Tyler when I’m not writing. Otherwise I catch myself imitating her style. It’s extremely embarrassing. All my characters start to sound like they come from Baltimore. I think it’s because her writing seems so deceptively simple. I think, I’m sure I could do that, if I just tried. Also, she uses italics perfectly and as a result, I start to use italics constantly. I adore all her books. There have been two occasions in my life when I’ve opened a gift and shouted with joy. The first was when I received the Barbie Campervan for my eighth birthday. The second was when I unexpectedly received a new Anne Tyler book for Christmas and I didn’t even know she had a new one out.
Visit Liane Moriarty's website.

The Page 69 Test: What Alice Forgot.

--Marshal Zeringue