Saturday, September 12, 2009

Karen Walker

Karen Walker is a writer who has published essays in newspapers and magazines, as well as an anthology series. After a 30+ year career in marketing and public relations, she went back to college to complete a Bachelor’s degree and graduated Summa Cum Laude in 2005 from the University of New Mexico’s University Studies program with a major emphasis in Creative Writing.

Her memoir Following the Whispers came out earlier this year.

Earlier this month I asked her what she was reading. Her reply:
I am a voracious reader and have been since I learned to read. Just finished three books in two days: Queen of the Road, by Doreen Orion, The Prairie Grass Murders by Patricia Stoltey, and The Ride, by Jane Sutton Kennedy.

I hadn't read murder mysteries in a while and had forgotten what great escape reading they can be. Prior to that, I re-read A New Earth by Eckart Tolle and I'm working with Voice of the Muse by Mark David Gerson, a guide for writers.

At the top of the reading stack is Fearless Confessions and Because I Remember Terror Father I Remember You, both by Sue William Silverman. For fun, it will be The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, a novel by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, then another murder mystery, Pretty is As Pretty Dies, by Elizabeth Spann Craig.
Visit Karen Walker's website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue